Our self-image is the main factor which determines – how we feel about ourselves. Improving your self-image will bring peace in your mind and can help you avoid many life problems, feel more confident about yourself and live a life in your terms.
In this post, you will know about – benefits of a positive self-image and how it can help you live a better life.
Everyday day we meet many people.
If you notice then you’ll see that – people who mainly focuses on their strengths and have positive thoughts have better self-confidence and they are happy with their career & life.
Developing a positive self-image can help you to understand and value your own unique qualities and feel complete the way you are.
Then let’s get started.
What is Self-image?
Self-image is how you think and feel about yourself. Basically, when you think about yourself… the images and feeling that comes in your mind is your self-image.
Self-image definition according to Wikipedia
- “Self-image is the mental picture, generally of a kind that is quite resistant to change, that depicts not only details that are potentially available to objective investigation by others (height, weight, hair color, etc.), but also items that have been learned by that person about themself, either from personal experiences or by internalizing the judgments of others.”
Suggested reading: 7 ways to have better self-discipline in your life.
Many people get confused and think – self-esteem and self-image is the same thing. But it’s not.
Difference Between self-esteem & self-image
- Your self-esteem is mainly driven by how you are feeling emotionally during a particular point in time in your life.
- Where self-image is how you perceive yourself.
- Positive feedback fuels self-esteem and right or ethical work fuels self-image.
Positive feedback from many people boosts your self-esteem. But your self-image can be poor… if you use some not so good tactics to get the results that others don’t know… but deep down inside you know it’s not fair.
In that case, your self-esteem can be high but your self-image will be lower.
Benefits of a Positive Self-image
5 Ways a positive self-image helps you to live a better life
1. A positive self-image gives you better emotional stability
What people say about someone affects them emotionally.
But most of the time they do not say what’s right. And sometimes they try to say things that will upset you, intentionally.
Anyone can get influenced by that. But when you have a positive self-image, you know the weight of their words. You know instantly; if they are saying the truth or lie.
Also, you can easily understand that they have no clear idea about yourself … they are just guessing and telling you – what ‘they think’ and not the actual thing.
When you start improving your self-image –
- You know that most of your doings are right or ethical. And you are not hurting anyone or interfering with other’s right.
- You become much more aware of who you are and what’s your real value.
2. Many life problems fade away
Your self-awareness remains at its peak when you have a positive self -image.
It enables you to understand better about your potential and limits.
Your plans and goals become practical and you don’t look for arbitrary goals.
It keeps you away from being Mr. perfectionist or Ms. perfectionist. Cause everything becomes hard when you constantly strive for perfections.
3. You become a better partner
In many relationships after some time, one partner projects him superior. They become more demanding and needy. In some cases, they also take all those efforts from the other partner as – ‘granted’.
It’s totally bad for any good relationship. That other person will only accept it according to their tolerance. But there remains a high chance that – the relationship can’t strive for long.
A better self-image helps you understand about others needs and you focus more on nourishing the relationship.
4. Life becomes happier
This comes as a by-product of above three.
When you have better emotional stability, fewer problems in life and a healthy relationship with your partner…guess what happens?
You become happier in life.
5. More accomplishments in life
It makes sense that if someone have:
- Good self-awareness
- practical plans and goals in life and not strives for perfection
- In a good relationship with someone
- And Happier.
Also, get more accomplishments in their life.
Maybe it’s not always right… that if someone good in these four, will get more accomplishments in life. But there remains a high chance.
Takeaway – start with some realistic plans
If you want to have a positive self-image from now on then you need to start with some realistic plans.
- Note down those fields in life where you think you can improve yourself… and it will have a positive impact on how you live. Generally, most of the peoples are aware of their problems and what they are doing wrong. Many also know the solutions.
If you are someone who does things that you know harmful for yourself… accept the truth and stop doing it. Immediately. Because you know if you don’t stop now in future it will become even harder to change.
Also, when you already started some good changes in life and stopping your bad habits you need to remember this… Change what you can and let go of what you can’t. Just don’t get stuck by giving yourself the excuse of doing everything perfectly and being a perfectionist.
You can always solve a critical problem later when you already improved yourself in other fields in life.