Many of us start our day by drinking tea or coffee. After reading this article and knowing about all the health benefits of lemon water, I’m pretty sure that many of you will consider drinking lemon water in the morning.
A few weeks ago I started drinking warm lemon water with honey in the morning. Seeing it’s health benefits and positive impact on my body and mood, now, it’s my first drink of the day.
What is lemon water?
Lemon water is simply water with added lemon juice in it.
You can drink lemon water hot or cold. According to your personal taste, you can decide how much lemon juice you want to add in your drink. Best is to add half lemon juice in one glass of water. If it’s too tangy for you then take one-third of a lemon.
If you want to drink lemon water first thing in the morning then mix the lemon juice with lukewarm water. To add some flavours in your drink take one or two teaspoons of honey in it.
The lemon you use should be fresh. Avoid bottled lemon juice from supermarkets.
To get most of the health benefits of lemon water you must use organic lemon.
You can get different variations of lemon water when added other ingredients like honey, mint leaves, ginger, turmeric etc.
Suggested reading: Health benefits of drinking green tea in the morning
10 Health benefits of drinking lemon water
Here are all the health benefits of lemon water. When you add other ingredients; it also adds some more health benefits. I’ll cover them in detail later in this article.
1. Aids digestion
Drinking one glass of warm lemon water in the morning empty stomach can help you to get your digestive system moving.
Also, it balances and reduces the chances of acid formation in your stomach.
To prevent constipation many people drink one glass of lemon water in the morning. They gave positive feedback about its effectiveness.
One glass of lemon water can give you relief from acidity.
When you drink lemon water after a meal it aids digestion.
Suggested reading: 7 Common mistakes to avoid for building New Habits
2. Freshens your breath
Lemon water is one of the oldest natural remedies to avoid bad breath.
When we have a dry mouth for some time, bacteria make our breath smell bad.
It’s common to have bad breath just after we wake up.
Drinking lemon water stimulates our mouth to release saliva.
Water and lemon juice both helps to prevent a dry mouth and freshens your breath.
3. Drinking lemon water boosts your energy level
When we sweat our body loses minerals (zinc, magnesium, calcium, sodium, potassium and water (source.)
During the summer season or in a country with hot weather, you will sweat. The amount of sweating can vary from person to person and what activity they are doing.
If you feel less energetic due to sweating you can drink one glass of cold lemon water with a pinch of salt to boost your energy level.
I live in India. And during summer, people sweat a lot here when they are outside. From childhood, we drink lemon water in hot days. It freshens your mood and you notice a higher energy level than before.
In summer, cold lemon water is a widely popular beverage in India and other Asian countries.
4. Good source of vitamin C
Lemons and other citrus fruits contain a high amount of vitamin C.
Studies show that having enough vitamin C in your body may reduce your risk of cardiovascular diseases and risk of stroke.
Drinking Citrus water or lemon water supplies vitamin C in your body. Vitamin C also acts as a primary antioxidant and helps to protect your cells from damaging free radicals.
Here’s how much vitamin C an adult need.
- Men, 90 mg per day
- Women, 75 mg per day
- Pregnant women, 85 mg per day
- Breastfeeding women, 120 mg per day (source.)
Water-soluble vitamin C can also help to repair & regenerate tissues, maintain connective tissue and protects the body from Immune system deficiencies.
5. Drinking lemon water reduces joint and muscle pain
The best benefit of drinking lemon water every day is – it can lower muscle and joint pain.
If occasionally you feel pain in your joints or after waking up in the morning your joints remain stiff for some time then you can get relief from it by drinking one glass of lukewarm lemon water with organic honey.
Vitamin C present in lemon juice promotes good ligament, joint tissue and bone health.
- You need to drink lemon water for at least one week to get this health benefit.
6. Lemon water helps you to drink more water
Adequate fluid intake for an adult man is 3.7 litres and for women 2.7 litres. Everybody knows they should drink more water to be healthy. But some people drink less water than recommended.
Drinking enough water is crucial as it impacts our body fluid level.
In many occasions, you may find it difficult to drink enough water. You can solve this problem by drinking one or two glass of lemon water. It will please your taste buds and give your body ample amount of water supply.
Here are some reasons to drink enough water every day:
- Drinking an adequate amount of water makes it easy for your kidneys to take out toxins from your body.
- Drinking enough water is good for your skin.
- Drinking enough water throughout the day helps you to avoid muscle fatigue and many more.
7. Helps to fight common cold
If you regularly drink lukewarm lemon water with honey, it reduces the chances of getting affected by the common cold.
Even if you get common cold due to unexpected weather changes; drinking lukewarm lemon water with honey can help to bring cold and cough under control.
Suggested reading: 7 Simple Lifestyle Changes That Have Huge Impact On Your Life
8. Improves athletic performance
Drinking lemon water boosts your energy.
So you can take it as a pre-workout to improve your athletic performance.
Also during exercise or physical training its important to keep yourself hydrated. During a workout, if you don’t like to drink water then you should try lemon water.
Lemon water test good and it’s refreshing. The best part is it’s natural and contains fewer calories than other gym drinks
- 9 Health Benefits Of Exercising Before Breakfast
- 11 Fitness Goals You Should Make To Achieve Your Dream Shape
9. Lemon water and kidney stones
In a study conducted by National Kidney Foundation found that if you drink 2 -2.5 litres of water daily then you are 50% less likely to develop kidney stones.
The citric acid in lemon helps to block stone formation. If you drink lemon water regularly it can help you to prevent kidney stones.
61 gram of fresh lemon juice has 31% of vitamin C in it (source – whfoods.)
Vitamin C is considered as one of the most important antioxidants in nature.
In lemon water, there is a substance called Flavonoids, which is known to improve metabolic health and can protect cells from damage.
Suggested reading: 10 Best Fruits Which Helps In Weight Loss
Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning
I have been drinking lukewarm lemon water with honey every morning empty stomach for a couple of weeks now. Here what I noticed and some recommendations.
Usually, I wake up at around 4.35 am in the morning. After getting fresh I drink lemon water before 5 am.
I tried drinking plain lemon water with filtered water but I found I like lukewarm lemon water with two teaspoons of honey (it taste better.)
Drinking lukewarm lemon water in the morning helps to remove the sleepiness. Also, it gives a boost in energy level.
It also increases the metabolism rate slightly.
After three-four days of drinking lemon water in the morning, I noticed it helps to bring down acidity in the stomach.
Personally, I found no complications in drinking lemon water in empty stomach first thing in the morning.
How much lemon water you should drink in a day
You can drink 3-4 glass of lemon water in a day.
Drink lukewarm lemon water in the morning, evening or at night. It’s best to drink cold lemon water or lemon water with ice during noon.
If you are drinking lemon water for the first time then you should start with drinking one glass.
Drink one glass of lemon water for a couple of days then add another one if you want.
Also, if you are drinking 3-4 glasses of lemon water then you might consider using a straw to protect your tooth enamel. If you are drinking one or two glasses of lemon water in a day then you don’t need to worry about it.
Benefits of drinking warm lemon water
Morning is the best time to drink a glass of warm lemon water to get its amazing health benefits.
Warm lemon water has all the health benefits of lemon water and some more.
Lukewarm lemon water in the morning is more effective to cure and control stomach problems. It also helps in preventing the formation of wrinkles and ache.
Drinking warm lemon water in the morning also reduces joint pain as it dissolves uric acid. To avoid getting infected by common cold it’s one of the best home remedies.
Suggested reading: 11 ways to live a better life
Warm lemon water with honey
If you want to see the advantages of drinking lemon water then you should try it with honey.
In the morning get two teaspoons of honey and squeeze half lemon juice in it. Add some lukewarm water in it and stir it for 10 seconds (to dissolve the honey) and enjoy your drink.
To prepare the drink it takes less than two minutes and it’s so simple to make. But it has some amazing health benefits.
- Honey is a natural fat burner. If you drink lemon water with honey; it can give you good result in weight management.
- It will help you to strengthen your immunity system.
- Lemon water with honey is a powerful home remedy for cough and common cold.
- It will give you an instant energy boost. Because honey is an excellent source of natural energy booster.
- Drinking lemon water with honey helps you to prevent metabolic stress and boosts memory. Thus after drinking it in the morning you will be much more productive and focused. So it’s great for those who want to complete some work in the morning.
Lemon water with chia seeds
If you are someone who likes to eat food and drinks that promotes good health then you might consider drinking lemon water with chia seeds a couple of times in a week.
Chia seeds with lemon water is a great way to build endurance and burn body fat.
Later in this article, I will tell you about how to prepare these drinks step-by-step.
Here are all the major health benefits of drinking lemon water with chia seeds:
- Chia seed provides many essential nutrients like fibre, protein, manganese and calcium. It also contains plenty of antioxidants and most important – omega-3 fatty acids.
- Antioxidants present in chia seed promotes tissue repair and protect your skin.
- Chia seeds contain a high amount of protein and fibre. Which promote weight loss.
- Consuming chia seeds enhances athletic performance. Its often used by athletes to build endurance and to boost their performance in the field.
Benefits of drinking lemon water with turmeric
Consuming organic turmeric helps you to detox your body. You can get a detox drink when you add turmeric in your lemon water.
Turmeric is widely popular in the middle east and Asian countries for its countless health benefits.
Turmeric and curcumin present inside it are both acts as an antioxidant and have anti-inflammatory properties. It’s highly effective to give you relief from acid reflux.
Lemon water with turmeric can help you to get faster recovery from workouts and physical work. It also boosts your energy.
When consuming turmeric with lemon water for the first time you should add one or half teaspoon in 8 ounce glass of lukewarm water. Later you can add more turmeric according to your taste.
Lemon water with cucumber
Drinking lemon water is good for your skin health. You can also enhance its health benefits by adding 3-4 round slices of cucumber in it.
Most of the beauty parlours and spa centres use cucumber in their therapy and beverages because of its health benefits.
When it comes to skin health cucumber gives some amazing results.
Consuming cucumber can protect your skin from the effect of ageing. You don’t need to buy expensive anti-ageing creams, eat some cucumber daily.
Cucumbers contain water, fibre and anti-inflammatory substances like flavonoids & tannin. So it’s also good to maintain a healthy weight, prevent constipation, get relief from pain and in reducing bad breath.
Lemon water with ginger
Lemon and ginger both are very popular in Ayurvedic medicine for their impressive health benefits.
Both of them contains antioxidants and have immune-boosting capabilities. When you combine both ingredients into a single drink, it becomes more healthy for your body.
- Lemon water with ginger act as a natural metabolism booster and promotes calorie burn and weight management.
- Presence of vitamin A in ginger improves the texture of your hair.
- Drinking lemon & ginger water everyday can give your skin a fresh look by adding a natural glow.
- Lemon water and ginger are also effective to cure a common cold and cough.
** A person with a sensitive stomach or anyone have ginger allergy avoid this drink. Or talk to your doctor if you can drink it without any complications. Some people reported they suffer from heartburn after they drink this beverage.
Lemon water side effects
Drinking lemon water is safe and there are no major side effects of drinking lemon water.
But concentrated lemon juice can decay tooth enamels over time. So, if you are adding too much lemon in your drink or drinking lemon water many times in a day then use a straw.
Some people also said – drinking lemon water gave them heartburn.
For most people drinking lemon water is safe and provides many health benefits.
Lemon Water Detox: How effective?
Talking about detox, water is an important element of detoxing. Drinking more water helps you in detoxing.
One glass of lemon water helps you to drink more water and thus it helps you to detox.
But if you are drinking lemon water only for detoxing then you should try – Lemon water with turmeric, lemon water with cucumber and lemon water with ginger.
These detox drinks will help you in detoxing more than plain lemon water.
Lemon water myths
There are many health benefits of lemon-infused water. But drinking lemon water can’t solve every health problem. Here are some common myths about lemon water:
- Balances your body pH level. Lemon water can’t balance your body pH level. What lemon water can do is it can give you relief from acidity in your stomach.
- Increases IQ. It’s not proven if drinking lemon water increases your IQ over time. But drinking lemon water in the morning helps you to be more focused.
- Prevents Cancer. Lemon water does not help in cancer prevention. No scientific study proved if lemon water can prevent cancer.
How to make lemon water: 5 recipes to try
Here’s how to how to prepare lemon water.
Lemon water is very easy to make and takes less than 2 minutes.
To make plain lemon water add half or one third (if the lemon is big) of lemon juice in a glass. Add filtered water and stir. And your lemon water is ready.
*You can add one pinch of salt in it to make it taste better.
1. How to prepare lemon water with honey
Lemon water with honey is a great healthy drink to start your day.
In this drink, you should use lukewarm water.
- 2-3 teaspoons of honey
- 1/2 of a lemon
- Lukewarm water
How to prepare
- Squeeze the lemon in a glass
- Add 2-3 spoons of honey
- Pour lukewarm water
- Stir it for 10 seconds
How I prepare my lemon water
I take a tea pan and heat it for 15-20 second without pouring water in it. In that time I cut a lemon and squeeze the juice in a glass.
After 15 seconds I take the pan and place it on the countertop and pour one glass of water in the pan. Water sits in the pan for another 20 seconds. In that time I add 3 teaspoons of honey in the glass.
I add water and stir it gently for some time and my drink is ready.
Note: Adding water in a hot pan will make a ‘ssiii shhh’ sound. One or two drops of water can jump outside the pan but it’s no harm.
How to prepare lemon water with chia seeds
Ingredients you will need to prepare lemon water with chia seeds
- ½ of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of whole chia seeds
- 1 glass/ cup of lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon, unfiltered raw apple cider vinegar
How to prepare
- Add chia seed in the glass and pour, half glass of warm water
- Stir it a little bit and cover it for 5-10 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and water
- Stir well and your drink is ready.
Lemon water with turmeric recipe
To prepare this detox drink you only need 3 ingredients.
- ½ of a lemon
- One glass of lukewarm water
- ½ teaspoon of organic ground turmeric
You can also add one or two teaspoons of honey in it for better taste.
How to prepare lemon water with turmeric
- First, squeeze the lemon into a glass or mug.
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- Pour lukewarm water in it
- Stir for 10 seconds
- Add honey if you want to.
Note: if you drink slowly then the turmeric may fall at the bottom. So, keep the spoon near you.
Lemon water with cucumber recipe
Ingredients you will need to prepare cucumber & lemon water
- 4-6 round slices of cucumber
- ½ of a lemon
- Ice cube & honey (optional)
- Place the cucumber slices in the button of a mug
- Add lemon juice in it
- Pour water
- Add 3-4 ice cube and honey (optional)
- Stir well
Lemon water with ginger recipe
To prepare this drink you need ½ lemon and little amount of sliced ginger ( 10-25 grams will do the job.)
Now there’s two way to add ginger in your lemon water.
- You can put the ginger in the water overnight. Boil the water in the morning with ginger. Filter the water and add lemon in it.
- Extract ginger juice from the ginger and mix it with lemon water.
- Squeeze half lemon in a glass.
- Add the ginger juice and water. Mix it for 10 seconds.
To read lifestyle and wellness articles like this in future subscribe to Matey Lifestyle newsletter. You will receive a few email updates that can inspire you to live a happy and healthier life