This is a compact guide about how to increase your body fat percentage naturally. Also, there is a diet plan (5 variations) for gaining body fat.
There are many people who struggle to lose their body fat. I have already written an article about how to control and maintain one’s body fat percentage.
But then I found out that many people who were reading that post actually looking for healthy ways to increase body fat percentage.
So, I felt that… I need to write an article on – how to increase body fat percentage naturally.
When it comes to body fat… there are three main factors which can help you to increase it:
- Your food
- Adequate rest
In this article, I’ll walk you through everything you need to know- to gain body fat naturally… without harming or stressing your body.
Before I share those 3 ways to increase body fat, please read this below paragraph to understand how to choose your goals and why you shouldn’t focus on gaining fat excessively for one or two weeks. Instead, increase your body fat percentage gradually in a healthy way.
This Post Covers
Things to keep in mind while you are planning to increase your body fat percentage
Everyone knows that when you eat more calories than you burn, your body starts depositing fat. In order to consume more calories, some people say to depend mostly on fast food and refined carbs.
But you can’t do that if you want to gain body fat in a healthy way.
You can depend on high-calorie food items and some fast-food (not fried food) but you need to eat healthy foods, vegetables and fruits too.
No matter if your goal is to gain muscle or fat… never consume an excessive amount of oily foods. Instead, focus on high protein food sources.
Also, set realistic goals. You can gain 1.5 to 2 lbs of body fat within 35 to 40 days easily. But don’t push your body to gain that much fat within 15 days or a week.
Increasing your body weight too fast can results discomfort in your bone joints, hormonal changes in your body and you can become less flexible than before.
So, the key thing is – gain weight gradually. And avoid unhealthy foods and give your body some time to get used to the changes.
3 Best ways to increase body fat naturally
1. Increase body fat percentage from food
Our body uses mainly protein, amino acids, and water to form and maintain muscles in our body. Fat in the human body is stored in fat cells, called adipocytes.
Fat cells present in your body increases and decrease its size – depending on how much fat your body is storing. So, to increase fat in your body; you need to eat foods which helps in fat formation( included below.)
Why my body fat percentage is low? – This might be the reason
One thing that lowers fat formation in the human body is – when someone skips a meal or spends some hours (5 hours or more) without eating any food.
That time your body depends on the stored fats in your body to provide you energy.
Skipping meals time to time can lower fat formation in your body.
When your body doesn’t get adequate energy supplies … it uses a portion of stored body fat in order to fill the gap.
If you are trying to increase your fat percentage then probably you don’t want to burn those fats which are already present in your body.
Hear’s what you need to do:
First of all, try not to skip any of your regular meals. If you think you can get stuck with something and can skip a meal… then keep some food with you. It can be a protein bar, some healthy snacks…But don’t be in an empty stomach for more than 4 hours.
5 tips for better weight gain
- Start developing a habit of eating frequently. Take small meals every 3 to 4 hour.
- If you can digest milk then drink 350 -500 ml of milk daily. It’s a very good source of protein and fat. ( Those who have problems with drinking milk directly… you can eat other milk products like butter, yoghurt, cottage cheese…)
- Use a bigger plate while eating. When you eat with small plates you might think you are eating a huge meal… but on a bigger plate those hipped foods will look normal and you will eat more food automatically.
- Don’t drink water just before the meal. It will decrease your appetite.
- Start your meal by eating calorie dense food first – like protein … then eat vegetables.
Foods to eat
You should try to have 4 to 6 meals in a day to increase your muscle mass and body fat.
Because when you eat food in small quantities; it helps your body to digest faster.
First, when you are starting – try to eat approx 400 calories more than usual for one week. Then from next week gradually increase your calorie intake by 20 -60 calories at a time.
If you are able to maintain this then from the third week you will be able to eat an extra 750 -900 calories.
Also, below you will find some exercise plans – so that you don’t add any extra belly fat … but gain overall body fat and muscle mass.
List of energy-dense foods to increase body fat
- Milk products: Whole milk, full-fat yoghurt, cottage cheese, cream.
- Meat: Chicken and beef.
- Fish: Salmon and other oily fish
- Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes.
- Oils: Extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil.
- Nuts & dried fruit: walnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, peanuts, raisins, dates, prunes.
Others: Avocados, peanut butter, multigrain, bran, coconut milk, dark chocolate.
Love reading lifestyle and wellness articles? Then subscribe to Matey Lifestyle – The All In One Lifestyle Blog. (only get notified when we publish the best content related to lifestyle and wellness.)
Diet plan –
Daily Meal Plan for Gaining Fat – Have 5 variations … From wikiHow (link opens in a new tab)
2. Simple exercises and hacks to gain fat fast
Many people think that if they exercise they will gain less fat.
Even if you want to increase your body fat; you have to exercise. But follow this strategy.
If you work out with weights in the gym:
- Within 13 days – lift weight only 3 days. And 2-days, do bodyweight exercises.
- Increasing more resting time helps your muscles to fully recover and it gets larger and you starts bulking.
- Focus on chest, leg, biceps and shoulder exercises. Engage the major muscles only.
- Other 2 days do a slow jog, cycling, swimming for 15 to20 minutes.
Exercises you must do
- Deadlifts: 2 sets of 5-10 reps + 1 set (heavyweight) 3-5 reps.
- Squats: 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps.
- Bench press: 2 sets of 8 reps + 1 set (heavyweight) 6-8 reps.
- Push-ups: 3 sets of 10 reps.
- Shoulder press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- And other exercises of your choice. ( Gym session time recommended 45 -50 minutes.)
If you don’t go to the gym:
Here are some ways and tips to keep your body in shape while you are bulking without going to the gym.
You should aim for 3 days of workout in a week. Only 10 to 15 minutes.
Exercises you need to do 3 days in a week
- Bodyweight squats
- Pull-ups and chin-ups
- Bodyweight lunges
Below I included several videos, which will demonstrate and show you how to do those exercises with proper form.
After that – the next section where you will know about – how much rest do you need to increase your body fat.
How to do the perfect push up
Bodyweight squat tutorial video
Lunges – 3 types
Simple Stretching workout video
3. How much rest do you need to gain fat
At night you need to sleep for 6-7 hours.
Don’t sleep more than 7 hours a day if you want to increase your body fat percentage.
Also, in the morning don’t drink tea or coffee. Taking caffeine will increase your metabolism rate. And it helps your body to burn fat.
If you love drinking tea or coffee, then have it later, only once, between 11 am – 12.30 pm.
Additionally, don’t stay under sunlight for more than 40 minutes if you want to increase your body fat fast. (although it has a lower impact. But still, it helps your body to gain some fat.)
Our body fat percentage depends on 1) what food we eat and how much, 2) your physical activities and how much calories you burn on a daily basis; 3) hours of rest your body gets.
To have high body fat, you should never skip your meal, because when you skip a meal your body uses stored body fat to supply energy for your body.
Best eating habits to gain weight and bulk up is to eat 4- 6 meals a day. Your diet must include high protein foods, carbs (rice, potatoes), and fish.
If you follow these then you will gradually start gaining body fat and muscle mass naturally.